Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day Eleven: Into The Wind

10-20-09

I set out from Faribault into a strong wind. Although it slowed me down, I knew that it would make my wind farm visit today all that much more exciting. On my way out of town, I stopped by the Riverbend Nature Center to check it out. It was early enough in the morning that it wasn't open, but it seems like a beautiful natural space. Although I had missed this stop because I arrived in town too late, I was able to visit the beautiful Quarry Hill Nature Center later in the day in Rochester.



















I sped from town, the wind whipping at me all the while as I went east and then south to Dodge Center. My friend Craig, a professional photographer gave a me a ring on my cell. He was interested in doing an interview with me at my stop at the McNeilus Wind Farm south of Dodge Center. Dodge Center was beginning to come into view when I noticed that there was a car slowing down and travelling beside me. Oh no, I thought, it was probably another jerk who was going to yell at me for biking on the highway (which IS usually legal, as long as your not on a freeway or in Faribault).

I looked over and saw Craig, pointing a video camera at me. Relieved, I tried to keep my eyes on the trail as he interviewed me about the weather, the mountain lion, and the many adventures and misadventures I'd experienced. Then, we met up at the wind farm. As I approached, the arms of the turbines were spinning wildly, but by the time I got there, they had all been stopped.










































I interviewed the secretary about the wind farm, and learned about what had led Mr. McNeilus to start it. He had owned a trucking company, and his motivation had been largely financial. He had always wanted an office building on his farm and decided to build the wind farm because it would provide both clean energy and a profit.

After getting permission, I took my bike for a spin around the farm. Although they weren't turning because the breaks had been put on for a repair, the expanse of turbines was stunning, spanning for over a mile. The area was still being farmed too! Corn fields were interspersed between the turbines and no space sat wasted. Craig took a series of spectacular pictures by the turbines, but then a worker sprayed us with anhydrous ammonia. I had forgotten my inhaler and had a horrible asthma attack from the toxic fumes, and felt light headed for the rest of the day.

Once in Rochester, I travelled to the Quarry Hill Nature Center. It hadn't been a planned stop, but Naomi, a student at the U of M Morris, said that I shouldn't miss it if I was going to be in town. It ended up being one of the best spontaneous events of the entire trip.


















I met a family from Rochester who were visiting the nature center with their child to introduce him to it. It was the first time he had ever seen a nature center, and they had to keep an eye on him so that he wouldn't run off. They explained that they've been noticing new species coming into the area, including species of squirrels that they had never seen before, and were concerned that this may be a sign of climate change.





















Craig met me and we went into the center, where I talked with the director and the volunteers about the center and the importance of environmental education as a climate solution. The director gave us a tour of the building and talked about how the classes help children in the city connect with nature in a way that makes it seem less separate from their lives.

As we were leaving, we had a chance meeting with an impressive group of high school students at Rochester High School who are interested in environmental issues, who urged me to bring a strong message to Copenhagen to protect the world that we will be living in for most of our lives.


















After leaving the nature center, I got lost in the enormous hills east of Rochester trying to find Megan Constans's parent's home in Eyota. I knew that I must be in the right place though when Deanna, Megan's mom, pulled up beside me and said "it's just a few more blocks!" letting me follow her home.



















Megan's parents were warm and welcoming, and Deanna gave me some of the BEST macaroni and cheese I think I've ever had. You don't know how hungry you can get until you do something as physical as a bike trek! Megan is the North Dakota Youth Delegate who I will be travelling with to Copenhagen, and is part of the Will Steger Foundation Delegation of ten youth that will attend COP 15.




























































































1 comment:

  1. Go, Reed! Go. From your fair weather biking friend. Dale. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete