Monday, October 19, 2009

Day Ten: The Sakatah Singing Hills Trail



















I slept in this morning and got off to a late start, only to get lost trying to find my way out of Mankato for two hours! Fortunately, the owner of a local taekwondo dojo helped direct me to the Sakatah Singing Hills Trail. As soon as I saw the dojo I knew that I would be all right: you can always count on martial artists for good directions.

I hit the trail, thinking that I would try to get to Faribault by 4pm so that I could stop by the River Bend Nature Center. "It's only 39 miles," I told myself, "I'll have plenty of time!" Little did I know what I was in for.

I completely underestimated the part of the trail's name that has the word "hills" in it though, and didn't realize that the entire journey would be upslope. It's one thing when you're going uphill on a regular bike, and quite another when you're going uphill for forty miles straight, and your saddlebags are laden with gear.

Even though I got into Faribault too late to stop by the nature center today, I still had the opportunity to run into a series of amazing, interesting people along the trail. After a travelling a few miles, I ran into a trail closed sign. Oh no! I swear, every bridge and trail in Minnesota seem to be out of commision right now.
















After a short detour and a hike on the highway, I was back on the Sakatah. I met Zender and John, a professor in Cultural Geography at Mankato state and his son, a nature enthusiast. They told me that they were biking "down the hill" of the trail, which should have been my first clue! Zender explained to me that the area we were biking in was once a woodlands that had been shaved clear to make way for farmland. He teaches classes on how people interact with the environment and was happy to stop and talk with me.


















Next, I ran into a pair of recently retired couples who were out enjoying their new free time on the trail. They were all supportive of sending a strong message to Copenhagen, and biked with me for about an hour. The man in the middle of the picture was a character: he told me his life story, everyone on his geneology tree, and his theory that President Kennedy's death was a conspiracy perpetrated by Lyndon Johnson.

















After a long, uphill trek (where I admit I was probably a little too long winded talking with people), I got to Faribault just as the sun was coming down. I would be staying the night with Wendy Knudson, a co-worker with my mother. As I saw the Dairy Queen its parking lot, I knew that I had reached the end of the trail, but I was in for a surprise.

Did you know that the Sakatah Singing Hills Trail, a STATE bike trail ends on a highway that says "NO BIKES ALLOWED" (Or pedestrians either). Unfortunately, there is no sidewalk and no other way I could go, so I biked on it anyways. On this entire journey, Faribault definitely wins the Stupid prize for being the least bike friendly city I have encountered. I just can't get over the fact that a State bike trail ends on a road where bikes are not allowed. What, do they expect everyone to drive to the trail for a nice leisurely ride "down the hill?"

















I love this picture of the "tourist info" center that you can only legally get to by way of automobile. This is especially ironic, since one of the cities major attractions is the bike trail.

After breaking ill-crafted laws and enjoying a pleasant bike ride down the highway, I arrived at the Knudson's beautiful Victorian home. We discussed how they have made their home energy efficient, and how their nephew works for Blattner energy in the wind sector. They were welcoming and provided me a bath (and trust me, when you're trekking you need one more than you realize!) and a comfortable to bed to sleep the night in.

Here are some pictures of the Knudson's with the 350 Flag:



















Stephanie and I pose in front of the "secret door." There is a room behind it, but they don't know what's in it. Could it be a dead body? Could it a treasure trove? No one knows, but Stephanie is an author and loves the creative that the unknown inspires.


















Wendy and I pose by the secret door.


















Even the cat wants to get in on all the 350 action:

















Wendy's husband, supports the 350 Movement even when unconscious



















...and when awake too! The Knudson's with the 350 Flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment